PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger showing MVP form

SteelersWoman
10-10-2007, 04:24 PM
http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/10_10_Steelers_Wed__Story

By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer
10/10/2007

PITTSBURGH - The list of accomplishments for Ben Roethlisberger in his first four seasons in the NFL have been astounding.

The youngest quarterback to lead his team to a Super Bowl championship and first quarterback to start two conference championship games in his first two seasons, Roethlisberger has led the Steelers to a 38-13 record in games he's started - including a 5-1 mark in the playoffs. For all his success, Roethlisberger isn't mentioned when the subject of the NFL's best quarterbacks is discussed.

Perhaps that is because Roethlisberger, now in his fourth season, has never been considered the leader of the Steelers. He's always had Jerome Bettis or Hines Ward to help fill that role.
But Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks, with Ward and fellow starting receiver Santonio Holmes out with injuries, the Steelers needed Roethlisberger's leadership more than ever.

He responded by completing 18 of 22 passes for 208 yards and a touchdown in a 21-0 win.
"I hope I'm always a leader out there," Roethlisberger said. "When you lose guys, you have to count on guys to step up."
Roethlisberger certainly did that.

But Roethlisberger has been doing that all season. He's completed 81 of 131 passes for 1,013 yards, nine touchdowns and three interceptions this season as the Steelers opened with a 4-1 record.

It's a far different story than Roethlisberger's start last season, when he threw five touchdown passes and seven interceptions in his first five starts.
The Steelers went just 1-4 in those games and Roethlisberger, who was coming back from an offseason motorcycle accident and an appendectomy that forced him to sit out the opener, was blamed for the poor start.

"That's the nature of that position," said Steelers' first-year head coach Mike Tomlin. "They probably get too much credit for the wins and too much of the blame for the losses."

If you had a poll outside of Pittsburgh asking who should be considered the Most Valuable Player in the first five weeks of this season, Roethlisberger would be lucky to crack the top 10.

After New England's Tom Brady and Randy Moss, Indianapolis' Peyton Manning, Green Bay's Brett Favre and Dallas' Tony Romo, Roethlisberger might get a mention. But his teammates realize how much Roethlisberger's play has meant this season.

"Ben's playing great," said wide receiver Nate Washington. "He's back (to) doing the things that he does best: making plays. He's not worrying about that adversity on the sidelines anymore. If he does make a mishap, he keeps on moving. That's what we all have to do as a team, and do better as a team - just coming out and keeping things moving."

This is what Tomlin expected from Roethlisberger when he gave the quarterback more responsibility this season, giving him more input into helping the coaching staff draw up a game plan each week. "That is Ben," said Tomlin. "He is a professional."

I was readin some comments on another site by people who very clearly declare themselves "non-Steeler" fans, but are saying things like that with all the hoopty do over the "big" passers, that THIS team (meaning the Steelers) are "Built to play football the way it was meant to be played". They're also sayin that we're "scary", and doin the "run and stop the run WAY too well". I like it :D

With Big Ben protecting the football better, playin smart, and stayin calm, he's doin exactly what he needs to do to help us win games--that's what it's about. And by the way--it's the same with Ben as it usually is with the Steelers in general--he (and they) are rarely given the credit they actually deserve.

black an gold 4 life
10-10-2007, 09:23 PM
THERE'S NO DOUBT THAT BIG BEN CAN AN I BELIEVE WILL B GREAT, BEN HAS 2 KEEP WORKING HARD AN PLAYING LIKE HE PLAYED THE SECOND HALF OF THE SEAHAWKS GAME, WHEN HE STARTS PLAYING LIKE THAT 4 , 4 QUARTERS HE WILL BECOME ONE OF THE ELITE PASSERS N THE GAME, AN THEN THEY WON'T HAVE AN CHOICE, THEY WILL B FORCED 2 RECONIZE WHAT BIG BEN IS AN GREAT QB,THEN HE WILL GET HIS PROPS!!

SteelerSteve
10-11-2007, 02:42 AM
THERE'S NO DOUBT THAT BIG BEN CAN AN I BELIEVE WILL B GREAT, BEN HAS 2 KEEP WORKING HARD AN PLAYING LIKE HE PLAYED THE SECOND HALF OF THE SEAHAWKS GAME, WHEN HE STARTS PLAYING LIKE THAT 4 , 4 QUARTERS HE WILL BECOME ONE OF THE ELITE PASSERS N THE GAME, AN THEN THEY WON'T HAVE AN CHOICE, THEY WILL B FORCED 2 RECONIZE WHAT BIG BEN IS AN GREAT QB,THEN HE WILL GET HIS PROPS!!I hope you are right, we all know what he is, I just hope he does get credit as one of the best in the league. God I hate the bungles:lol:

BBG7
10-11-2007, 09:51 AM
http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/10_10_Steelers_Wed__Story

By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer
10/10/2007

I was readin some comments on another site by people who very clearly declare themselves "non-Steeler" fans, but are saying things like that with all the hoopty do over the "big" passers, that THIS team (meaning the Steelers) are "Built to play football the way it was meant to be played". They're also sayin that we're "scary", and doin the "run and stop the run WAY too well". I like it :D

With Big Ben protecting the football better, playin smart, and stayin calm, he's doin exactly what he needs to do to help us win games--that's what it's about. And by the way--it's the same with Ben as it usually is with the Steelers in general--he (and they) are rarely given the credit they actually deserve.

I have seen fans from other teams (esp. Pats and Colts fans) saying we are a great team and that we should be listed right up there with them when talking about power houses in the AFC.

Ben is doing a great job, and doesn't get the credit he deserves because he doesn't put up huge numbers but the truth is, he gets the job done and does what is asked of him. We have such a balanced team that we don't need him to put up huge numbers because we can count on our D and running game and still blow teams out (like we have seen this year already). The Steelers are not like the Pats and don't run up the score on teams, the Bengals don't have a D so they need to score a ton to even have a chance....the Steelers have class and do it the right way, which is why Ben doesn't get those big numbers.

AZ_Steeler
10-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Ben is looking like he did his rookie year and in 2005. He's managing the game well and seems to have his confidence back. I think he would be dangerous if he had just a little more time in the pocket but that will come in due time.

Back in 04 and 05 when the Steelers would fall behind I always had a feeling Ben was going to do something to bring the Steelers back and he usually did. You could tell he hated to lose or even be behind in a game because he always lead his team down the field to take the lead back... you could tell by his swagger. In 06 I lost that feeling because he just didn't look himself. But now I think that swagger is starting to come back although they haven't been behind much but there were glimpses of it in the Cardinals game :bigthumb:

SteelerSteve
10-11-2007, 04:21 PM
But now I think that swagger is starting to come back although they haven't been behind much but there were glimpses of it in the Cardinals game :bigthumb: I know what you mean, I saw it too. If he had a little more time left he probably wouldn't of had to force it as much.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-11-2007, 09:29 PM
I hate when Ben is labeled a game manager.......When I think game manager....I think Trent Dilfer when he won a Super Bowl with the 2000 Ravens.....He really wasn't asked to make plays.......Were Ben has been asked to make plays especially on those classic third and longs that Cowher/Whisenhunt would set Ben up with at times...lol People act like Ben was always faced with third and short since the Steelers always had a running game....Ben would convert his share of third longs especially when he moved out of the pocket and worked his magic......I'm just saying Ben has the talent to be more then a game manager its not his fault he doesn't get the pass attempts to put up the Peyton Manning type stats.....He still is only averaging 26 attempts a game this year but he still has 9 TD passes.....

DIESELMAN
10-11-2007, 10:58 PM
This has been mentioned in other threads, Ben is a gunslinger, hes got that mentality to never give up no matter what the score. Last year hurt and helped at the same time, also Tomlin being here helps a hell of a lot more then if Dumbass was still here. Tomlin knows what happened last year and right off the bat gives Ben a chance to prove himself instead of having doubts. Ben has talent and Tomlin knows it and is running with it.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2007, 06:06 AM
The thing about Ben is that even though he's a gunslinger, Tomlin and Arians have begun to be able to push the right buttons with him to keep him in control yet not hamper him like he has been until now in his career. Ben is a guy where you have to give him freedom and ability to make decisions on his own during the game while still keeping the integrity of what you're trying to do intact. He's a guy that needs to fly by the seat of his pants alittle bit and improvise as long as he doesn't get too crazy and push the envelope too much to where it translates into negative plays like last year. Im excited to see Ben play and how far he can really go.

portcityblackandgold
10-12-2007, 09:22 AM
I have to keep puttin it out there BIG BEN IS A WINNER. Find me a QB with more wins or just as many wins in four seasons, their first four seasons and add a Super Bowl ring to that:cope::cope:

SteelerSteve
10-15-2007, 05:43 PM
I hate when Ben is labeled a game manager.......When I think game manager....I think Trent Dilfer when he won a Super Bowl with the 2000 Ravens.....He really wasn't asked to make plays.......Were Ben has been asked to make plays especially on those classic third and longs that Cowher/Whisenhunt would set Ben up with at times...lol People act like Ben was always faced with third and short since the Steelers always had a running game....Ben would convert his share of third longs especially when he moved out of the pocket and worked his magic......I'm just saying Ben has the talent to be more then a game manager its not his fault he doesn't get the pass attempts to put up the Peyton Manning type stats.....He still is only averaging 26 attempts a game this year but he still has 9 TD passes.....Yeah, people that say that are ignorant, I do think that averaging 26 attempts per game is pretty good balance though, I think as long as he throws over 20 passes a game it is good balance. I think it is kind of funny because any qb can throw 40 times a game and 300 yards, that is not what makes a good qb, protecting the ball and making good decisions is what it's all about. As long as Ben keeps making plays he will have his best statistical season this year I think

BlitzburghRockCity
10-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Seems ever since last year happened that all of the sudden Ben is just an average QB in the league and nobody seems to give him the credit he deserves for what he was able to accomplish in his young career so far. Considering what he went through last year you have to give him nothing but credit for even being in the league anymore. The dude is poised to show the NFL just what he's made of and lead us to the post season again !